TF-5 is an extraordinary fixer for both paper and film.
* Processing time of only 30 seconds for resin-coated prints, 60 seconds for fiber-based prints, with no hypo clearing agent necessary.
* No stop bath necessary. Just use water rinse after developing.
* Non-hardening. Excellent for use with prints to be toned or re-touched.
* It is a near neutral fix that changes the pH of the film or paper from alkaline to near neutral, unlike TF4 in which the film or paper stays at an alkaline pH value.
* The only rapid-fixer system that allows the print to be completely fixed without impairing the rapidity of the wash.
* No image bleaching. All conventional fixers act as reducers. This means that the longer the material is left in the fixer, the more image silver is destroyed. This can only have bad effects on the image, whether it is a print or a negative. Conventional sodium thiosulfate (rapid) fixers suffer from this defect especially. The problem is eliminated in TF-5, which may offer slightly richer maximum blacks as a result.
03-0200 Ships as a1 liter bottle to make 4 liters $13.95
03-0201 ships as 1 -1gallon jug to make 4 gallons $32.95
03-0202 ships as 2-1 gallon jugs to make 8 gallons $57.95
03-0203 ships as 4 -1 gallon jugs to make 16 gallons $92.95
Posted by Gary Samson on 21st Mar 2021
This is an easy to use fixer for archival fiber base work. It washes out quickly and is economical to use.
Posted by Michael Farrell on 22nd Oct 2020
The old TF-4 tended to settle out in the container and was a pain to shake and remix before making stock solution. In a big processing run this could be frustrating.
I just finished processing over 500 sheets of 8x10 using TF-5. It was very easy to mix up fresh solution as I needed it without disrupting the workflow. I use two Jobo machines running in tandem to process ten sheets per run. So time counts...
Posted by Bryan Treen on 20th Sep 2019
I've started developing sheet film in a daylight tank and using TF-5 is easy and speeds the process with great results.
Posted by Randy Moe on 12th Dec 2017
I returned to film 6 years ago. 3 years ago I found TF-5 and have used it ever since. In quantity, as I just received my second 4 gallon delivery in that 3-year time span. Mixed with distilled water is has nearly no odour. I am sensitive. I use it for film and SG paper. T-Max needs more time. But it goes clear for me.
Posted by Mark Booth - Seattle, WA on 30th May 2017
I have used Photo Formulary's TF-5 fixer since it's inception. As in my title, this archival alkaline fixer is easy to use, quick working, washes clean with no residual constituents. I have used this fixer in nearly every type of film and traditional printing technique with great success. My pyro negs and amidol printing always fix perfectly and post process nicely with split-toning in TF-5. TF-5 fixer is utterly reliable!
Posted by J Goffe on 11th Jun 2016
I have used TF4 for many years and decided to give the new TF5 a try. Very pleased. As with the TF4, when mixed with distilled water, there is very little odor.
Posted by Unknown on 28th Apr 2015
Great quick fixer for films and papers, with added benefit of no ammonia fumes, the one drawback of TF-4.